- Project: Grading of Aluminium Metal Powder;
- Client: Global additive manufacturer;
- Type of Screener: Specialist metal powder screener circular Virto X-LINE single deck, model CS 1200;
- Replaced Equipment: Competitor sieve technology that yielded lower efficiency and could not screen at fine apertures;
- Type of Screening Mesh: Nylon mesh with 11 micron cut point;
- Key Objectives: Screen Aluminium Powder below 11 µm to be used for the additives manufacturing industry;
- Results needed: High purity level with particles separation at the required cut point, offering greater flow-ability to the powder;
- Main Challenges: Due to its explosive characteristics, the screening of aluminium powder below 45 µm can be dangerous. Furthermore, at a fine cut point the powder blinds the mesh on standard screening equipment.
- Competitor Product considered: Air classification was considered but the efficiency of the system was not effective for their end users due to excessive contamination.
Results achieved The CS 120.1 achieved a throughout of 70 kg/hour at 11 µm with efficiency of 98%.